Buying & Selling Business
Whether you are buying or selling a business or simply restructuring, we have the legal skills to help you to achieve your goals. Our lawyers have strong negotiation skills, nesuring that all the technical legal issues are addressed throughout the transaction, and your interests are protected.
We understand the need when structuring a transaction to protect our clients’ assets and to consider taxation issues including Capital Gains Tax, GST and Stamp Duty.
We draw on our experience in business sale transactions across a broad range of industries to advise our clients on issues ranging from due diligence and property matters, to employee issues and restraints upon competition.
Whether it’s the sale of a division of a publicly listed company or the sale of a small family business, the needs are the same – focused lawyers who understand the issues and are attentive to your needs.
We have expertise in each of the important issues that arise in business transactions, including:
- Shareholdings in private companies
- Joint ventures
- Sale and purchase of business
- Intellectual Property
- Identifying what intellectual property is owned by a business
- Ensuring a clear and smooth transfer of intellectual property rights
- Taking steps to protect and enforce intellectually property rights
- Representations and Due Diligence
- Identifying and drafting representations which a vendor needs to make and a purchaser needs to rely on
- Advising and assisting in relation to the due diligence process
- Employment Issues
- Effecting a smooth transfer of employees
- Calculation of adjustments for accrued annual leave, long service leave and other employee entitlements
- Analysing the vendor’s Workcover position
- Property Matters
- Securing transfer of lease or grant of licence
- Investigating and identifying uses to which a business premise may be put
- Restraints upon Competition
- What restraints upon competition can be sought
- How to ensure practical enforcement
- Restraints on solicitation of customers and employees